Are You A Good Husband Or Wife By 1939 Standards?
A lot has changed in marriages in the last 80 years and that's why this "Marital Rating Scale" from 1939 is over the top sexist and, frankly, kind of funny.
The "Marital Rating Scale", authored by George W. Crane, Ph.D., and M.D., of Northwestern University, has become somewhat of a meme after being shared all over the internet a few different times. But, it's still fun to dig up this gem of a quiz and take it from time to time.
Sadly, it looks like the quiz isn't complete because the most points a wife can score is 25 and that would make her a wife of "Poor" quality, despite answering every question favorably. That doesn't mean we can't still answer the questions though. First, here is the "Marital Rating Scale Wife's Chart".
Demerits for Wife
- Slow in coming to bed - delays till husband is almost asleep.
- Doesn't like children.
- Fails to sew on buttons or darn socks regularly.
- Wears soiled or ragged dresses and aprons around the house.
- Wears red nail polish.
- Often late for appointments.
- Seams in hose often crooked.
- Goes to bed with curlers on her hair or much face cream.
- Puts her cold feet on husband at night to warm them.
- Is a back seat driver.
- Flirts with other men at parties or in restaurants.
- Is suspicious and jealous.
Merits for Wife
- A good hostess - even to unexpected guests.
- Has meals on time.
- Can carry on an interesting conversation.
- Can play a musical instrument, as piano, violin, etc.
- Dresses for breakfast.
- Neat housekeeper - tidy and clean.
- Personally puts children to bed.
- Never goes to bed angry, always makes up first.
- Asks husband's opinions regarding important decisions and purchases.
- Good sense of humor - jolly and gay.
- Religious - sends children to church or Sunday school and goes herself.
- Lets husband sleep late on Sunday and holidays.
How did you do wives? Did you have more merits or demerits? Post your results in the comments!
And then next we have the "Marital Rating Scale Husband's Chart".
Demerits for Husband
- Stares at or flirts with other women while out with wife.
- Reads newspaper at the table.
- Fails to come to table promptly when meal is ready.
- Brings guests home for meals without warning wife.
- Doesn't phone when late for dinner.
- Compares wife unfavorably with his mother or other wives.
- Publicly praises bachelor days and regrets having married.
- Criticizes wife in public.
- Belches without apology or blows nose at table.
- Leaves dresser doors open.
- Leaves shoes in living room.
Merits for Husband
- Gives wife simple allowance or turns pay check over to her.
- Courteous to wife's friends.
- Frequently compliments wife re looks, cooking, housekeeping, etc.
- Remembers birthdays, anniversaries, etc.
- Helps wife with dishes, caring for children, scrubbing.
- Polite and mannerly even when alone with his wife.
- Consults wife's opinion re business and social affairs.
- Has date with wife at least once per week.
- Reads newspaper, books, or magazines aloud to wife.
- A good conversationalist.
- Steady worker and good provider.
- Leaves car for wife on days she may need it.
OK, husband's it's your turn to share your results. More merits or demerits? Post your results in the comments!