The Dallas Cowboys Once Held Training Camp in Marquette – and 11 Other Michigan Cities to Host NFL Training Camps
Even before the Detroit Lions were a team there were NFL training camps being held in Michigan by the Chicago Cardinals.
Today's Arizona Cardinals held camp in Coldwater in 1929 and Sturgis in 1930. Today the Coldwater High School teams are known as the Cardinals, perhaps in honor of few weeks during the summer in '29.
In 1962, likely to beat the Texas heat, the Dallas Cowboys held training camp in the Upper Peninsula at Northern Michigan University in Marquette. The team was only here for one season before beginning a 27 year run holding camp in Thousand Oaks, California.
The Detroit Lions have held training camps in 9 different cities around the state:
- Bloomfield Hills at Cranbook Schools
- Charlevoix at Charlevoix High School
- Grosse Ile at West Shore Golf Club
- Alma at Alma College
- Ypsilanti at Eastern Michigan University
- Rochester at Oakland University
- Pontiac at the Silverdome
- Saginaw at Saginaw Valley State University
- Allen Park at Lions Training Facility
All research from the outstanding FootballGeography.com.