One Hit Wonder Wednesday: 1979
Each Wednesday on the Night Shift, we play songs from artists that had exactly one Top 40 hit and disappeared. Tonight, they're all from 1979.
Could you answer these trivia questions about the last year of the 1970s?
- What year was Trivial Pursuit first launched?
- What Pennsylvania Nuclear plant had a partial meltdown?
- What country invaded Afghanistan?
- Who was the first woman elected Prime Minister in the UK?
- How many Americans were held hostage in Iran?
- What was the title of Michael Jackson's debut solo album?
- What company made the Walkman?
Disco was on its last legs by the end of the 70s and the typical 80s synth sound had not yet arrived. Music was a montage of styles and influences and these artists captured lightning in a bottle with one hit on the Top 40 charts.
Video Killed the Radio Star | The Buggles
Most famous for being the first video played on MTV on August 1, 1981, this song was recorded in 1979. Later , on February 27, 2000, it became the one-millionth video to be aired on MTV.
Got To Be Real | Cheryl Lynn
Long before Wicked, there was The Wiz. Cheryl Lynn played the Wicked Witch of the West in the national production. One of the last songs of the disco-era, this was her only Billboard hit.
Cruel To Be Kind | Nick Lowe
A pioneer of 80s New Wave music, it's criminal that Nick Lowe is not better known. He had tremendous success producing Elvis Costello and is still making music today.
Gold | John Stewart
If you think that sounds like Stevie Nicks, you're right! What you may not know is that John was a part of the folk group Kingston Trio in the 1960s and he wrote "Daydream Believer" for the Monkees.
Romeo's Tune | Steve Forbert
To me, this is the best part of One Hit Wonder Wednesdays: You look at the name of the singer and the song and draw a blank. Then, just as the first few notes come out of the speakers, all the memories come back. You'll recognize this forgotten favorite from Steve Forbert.
- What year was Trivial Pursuit first launched? 1979
- What Pennsylvania Nuclear plant had a partial meltdown? Three Mile Island
- What country invaded Afghanistan? USSR
- Who was the first woman elected Prime Minister in the UK? Margaret Thatcher
- How many Americans were held hostage in Iran? 52
- What was the title of Michael Jackson's debut solo album? Off the Wall
- What company made the Walkman? Sony
Listen for these songs and more on the 1990s of One Hit Wonder Wednesday on the Night Shift with Craig Alan on K102.5