Six Fun Facts About Domino’s Pizza and One New Kalamazoo Location
Pizza lovers know Domino's was founded in Ypsilanti, and could guess the favorite topping. Here are 6 things you didn't know and 1 new Domino's in Kalamazoo.
Domino's is a big part of Michigan pizza history. Tom Monaghan and his brother, James bought a pizza store in Ypsilanti called "DomiNick's" in 1960. The first Domino's Pizza franchise store opened in Ypsilanti seven years later. Here are six things we're betting you didn't know about Domino's and where to find their newest pizza shop in Kalamazoo.
- Tom and his brother Dave Monaghan borrowed $900 to buy the first store. Dave later gave up his half in trade for a Volkswagen Beetle.
- The franchise grew quickly, opening the 200th location in 1978 and the 1000th by 1983. Domino's now has 750+ independent franchise owners in the U.S. More than 95% started their careers as drivers, pizza makers or hourly workers.
- Pepperoni is the most popular Domino's pizza topping in the U.S., followed by sausage, bacon, mushrooms and pineapple. There are more than 34 million ways to create a single Domino’s pizza.
- Domino's two-time World's Fastest Pizza Maker Werner Lomker can make three large pizzas in just 47.56 seconds.
- Domino’s stores across the globe sell an average of 3 million pizzas a day. (More than half of Domino's sales now come from outside the U.S.)
- Super Bowl Sunday is not their busiest day. New Year's Eve ranks first, then Halloween, Super Bowl Sunday, Thanksgiving Eve and New Year’s Day.
Now, here's what you have been waiting for: Kalamazoo's newest Domino's Pizza has just opened
Our newest Domino’s #1223 in Kalamazoo, MI is officially open! Great looking store! #kalamazoo #michigan #new
LOOK: Here are copycat recipes from 20 of the most popular fast food restaurants in America