Statewide Tornado Drill During Severe Weather Awareness Week
Michigan's Severe Weather Awareness Week will take place March 24, 2019 through the 30th. A voluntary statewide tornado drill is scheduled to occur at 1 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, March 27 to coincide. Businesses, organizations, families and individuals are encouraged to engage in this statewide preparedness activity, but are not required to do so. Nearly all state of Michigan facilities will participate as well as local radio and television stations.
Here are some of the basic items to have in your home to be prepared:
- Water, one gallon of water per person per day, for drinking and sanitation
- Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food (can opener for canned goods)
- Battery-powered radio and extra batteries
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Infant formula and diapers, if you have an infant
- Pet food and water for pets (leashes and carriers ready to go if you need to leave quickly)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
- Medications for family members and pets
- Make sure needed vehicles have a full tank of gas
- A central meeting location in case the home becomes inaccessible while family members are away
To see a comprehensive guide to planning click HERE.